Being an effective University Guidance Coach can be challenging. We can help.
With Millie, you will have access to global, impactful work, while having flexibility. You will join a team of academic mentors based across the world, studying and working in the best institutions.
From scoping students and providing a tech platform to monitor deliverables, our collaborative model is designed to set you up for success. Our experienced counsellors, who follow students alongside you, are there to provide relevant expertise and get you up and running quickly.
Working with Millie, you will be in a position to provide students what you wish you had when you were in their shoes. You will also be remunerated for your work.
You should have:
- A global outlook and international exposure
- A keen interest in guiding students through this most stressful period of their time by motivating and inspiring them to be the best version of themselves.
- Good knowledge of the major university destinations and their respective university application systems worldwide, with the main focus being U.S. and U.K. universities
- Strong presentation and communicative skills
- The ability to plan ahead and multi-task
- 2 years of experience in the high school education field, tutoring, or guidance counselling will be a huge plus
You will be:
- Guiding students along their university application journey, from forming their desired university list all the way to helping them decide on which offer to choose. Providing in-depth assessment of students’ academic performance and designing appropriate university application roadmap for them. Working with other Millie team members to coordinate and follow up on the students’ progress continuously.
- Providing general tips to students that will help enhance their overall academic and extra-curricular profile, including but not limited to activities planning, assistance on personal projects, internship suggestions, summer school programs, standardized test planning, portfolio preparation etc.
- Reporting students’ progress to relevant parties, including the students, their parents, other Millie team members periodically and answering any questions or concerns they might have with regards to the university application process. Utilizing different online collaboration platform to ensure timely communication.
- Brainstorming personal statement ideas with the students by asking appropriate guiding questions, reviewing personal statement drafts and offering comments on how to improve.
- Hosting webinars occasionally to share information on different university application related topics, for instance, admission systems worldwide, personal statement writing, major navigating etc.
KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT MAJOR UNIVERSITY APPLICATION SYSTEMS
You should be familiar with different university application systems worldwide, including but not limited to UCAS, Common App, Coalition App, Canadian application systems etc. Our Head Counsellor will be able to provide foundational training on these systems but prior knowledge is highly preferred
EMPATHETIC AND PATIENT
You are willing to spend time getting to know our students, put in effort to understand their academic and extra-curricular interests. It is likely that the students might be unsure about what they hope to achieve when they first started with our guidance program. In addition, these students are facing the most stressful year of their studies with tons of coursework and university application they need to finish within a definitive period of time. Therefore, we expect our counsellors to be able to guide them along the way, prompt them with questions when necessary, so they can discover the best tertiary education destinations for themselves. Who knows! If you take the time to hear them out, you may end up learning more from them than you will ever imagine ☺
Everything that was covered in the point above is applicable to parents as well. Arguably, parents can be even more stressed out and anxious in the university application process than the students themselves. Counsellors need to be sensitive and tactful with parents as well as on top in terms of information sharing; we all know that students might not want to disclose their progress, questions, or concerns with their parents. It’s the counsellor’s job to bridge the two parties and minimize any miscommunications or potential arguments between the two.
ORGANISED AND GOOD AT MULTI-TASKING
You should work well under deadline pressure, know how to prioritize different tasks in front of you. You might be working on multiple cases at the same time and the students might be in different year levels. Therefore, it is important for you to be able to anticipate tasks and set accurate timeline well before deadlines.
You are willing to try and quickly adapt to new communications tools and multi-way communication (across our online platforms, google calendar, email, zoom for video sessions, etc.) and to engage with your students outside of formal sessions (on WhatsApp, Instagram, Kakao – you name it!). You also need to be able to communicate well with different parties, including the students, their parents, the Millie Academic Tutors, the Head Counsellor so EVERYONE is kept in the loop regarding the progress of the student.
FULL OF LIFE EXPERIENCE
You have min. 3 years’ work experience (incl. grad school / army; generally exclusive of gap years unless approved) and are a high achiever looking to impact others leveraging your experience beyond school
You have gone to an international high school, or college to another country, or have significant work experience abroad
Think you are the right person? Email us your resume and tell us why.